Wednesday, April 7, 2010

April 1: 100 Pea Project (Kindergarten Children Help Plant 100 Snap Pea Seeds)




The afternoon French immersion kindergarten class helped me plant 100 pea seeds (les "petit-pois," I love it!) in the courtyard garden. I had given the children the seeds for their 100 days of Kindergarten celebration with the intention of planting them in the garden, and Mme. Messer has been very supportive about getting the children to participate.

It was a cold and drizzley day, but the K-students toughed it out and did an excellent job planting and "tucking the seeds in" with little blankets of soil. Many of them shared stories about their favorite vegetables and bugs, and many said how much they enjoyed helping mom, dad and grandparents in the garden. A big "merci" to Mme. Messer and her pm kindergarten class!

And another big thanks to Mme. Chow's grade 7 students who helped me prepare the bed the day before. They worked really hard and helped me get the bed ready in at least half the time. What is more, they shared some fabulous ideas which I hope we can incorporate into the garden, and they came with almost more garden knowledge than myself! Thanks again!


2 comments:

  1. thanks for all your fabulous work Lisa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One suggestion - it is hard to read the green color on the blog. Perhaps if it was bold it would be easier. The blog is also a great idea, I loved the info on the peas. I need inspiration to get going on my garden this year and you may have just got the ball rolling. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments! I changed the font colour... what do you think? I find for me, personally, the lighter and brighter colours make the letters "dance" before my eyes, but your right, that particular green I used before was quite dark. Maybe I'll play around with the background colour as well.

    Happy growing!

    ReplyDelete